National Addiction Awareness Week (NAAW) provides opportunities to raise awareness and inform Albertans about prevention, intervention, treatment, and recovery.
Alberta Health Services (AHS) is teaming with individuals, community groups and businesses across the province to recognize NAAW, which runs until Saturday.
This year’s theme is A Community of Caring.
Addiction is a complex health issue, and the effects of addiction go beyond the individual, and may include their family, friends, and society. Every Albertan should have the opportunity to pursue recovery, and community support is essential as they navigate services within Alberta’s recovery-oriented system of care.
NAAW calls on everybody to learn more about addiction and recovery and gives us an opportunity to highlight ways in which all Albertans can play a role — big or small — to support one another in driving change together.
The following is a list of some events taking place in North Zone communities:
- Nov. 22
- NAAW information hand out at McDonald’s drive thru (11802 100 St.) from 7 to 9 a.m.
- Salvation Army Hope in the City Food Truck at Wapiti House (10101 97A St.) from 12 to 1:30 p.m.
- Let’s Talk About Anger Workshop Part 1 (virtual/in-person) at Grande Prairie Public Library from 2-3 p.m. For more info and to register, visit https://events.gppl.ca/event/lets-talk-about-anger
- Nov. 23
- Harm Reduction and Naloxone Training by Northreach Society at Grande Prairie Public Library from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- FASD Network Mocktail event at Northwestern Polytechnic (10726 106 Ave.) from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Work & Recovery: Returning to Work after Addictions Treatment – Virtual workshop at Grande Prairie Public Library/R. Work Group from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. For more info and to register, visit https://events.gppl.ca/event/work-and-recovery-returning-work-after-addictions-treatment
- Harm Reduction and Naloxone Training Community Booth (Northreach Society) Beaverlodge Community Center (1014 4 Ave) from 6 to 8 p.m.
- FASD Network Presentation for Caregivers at Grande Prairie Family Education Society (9606 102 St.) from 7 to 8 p.m.
- Free Family Skate Night presented by AHS Addictions and City of Grande Prairie at Coca-Cola Centre from 7:45 to 8:45 p.m.
- Nov. 24
- NAAW information hand out at McDonald’s drive thru (11802 100 St.) from 11 a.m.to 1 p.m.
- NAAW Awareness Pancake Breakfast at St. Joseph High School from 9 to 10:30 a.m.
- Harm Reduction and Naloxone Training by Northreach Society at Nordic Court (10014 99 St.) from 12 to 1 p.m.
- Let’s Talk About Anger Workshop Part 2 (virtual/in-person) at Grande Prairie Public Library from 2-3 p.m. https://events.gppl.ca/event/lets-talk-about-anger
- Harm Reduction and Naloxone Training by Northreach Society for Youth drop-in from 6 to 7 p.m. at Nordic Court (10014 99 St.)
- Nov. 25
- NAAW Information Community Booth at Eastlink Centre (10 Knowledge Way) from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Resources available to help individuals, families, schools, and communities. Visit https://www.albertahealthservices.ca. These resources include information on what people can do for their well-being, including self-care tips, which can reduce the chance of addiction occurring.
Some examples of positive self-care include:
- Asking for help.
- Treating yourself with respect as you would treat a friend.
- Going for a walk.
- Practising gratitude.
- Laughing often.
- Understanding your emotions.
- Trying a new hobby.
If you or someone you know is struggling with an addiction, please know help is available. Albertans can get more information and help by calling Health Link at 811 or the Addiction Helpline at 1-866-332-2322.
Information provided by Alberta Health Services