On April 10, 2022, at approximately 9 p.m., McLennan RCMP initiated a traffic stop on a vehicle in the MD of Smoky River, just north of Falher, Alta. The officer formulated grounds to arrest the driver and entered into a drug trafficking investigation. A search warrant was obtained for the vehicle which resulted in the seizure of the following:
· substances believed to be cocaine and methamphetamine
· a stolen shotgun that had been altered to make it a prohibited weapon
· a 22 calibre firearm altered to become a prohibited firearm
· replica handguns
· a switchblade knife
· a taser
· various other weapons and drug paraphernalia.
As a result of the investigation, Carmen Lamouche (39) of Peace River, Alta., was charged with 21 criminal code charges, some of which include:
· Possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking (suspected cocaine and methamphetamine)
· Operate a motor vehicle while prohibited
· Possession of prohibited weapons
· Multiple firearm related charges
· Breach of release conditions
Lamouche has been remanded into custody following a judicial hearing and will be appearing in Fairview Provincial Court on April 13, 2022.
“Thanks to the support of the Smoky River Community, working in collaboration with the McLennan RCMP Detachment, we are able to make safer communities from which we all benefit ” said Acting Detachment Commander Cpl. Allan Paterson.
Now that this matter is before the court, no further information will be released.