On February 3, 2023, at approximately 9:30 a.m., Strathmore RCMP General duty and Crime Reduction Unit members responded to a report of a suspicious vehicle in a field stuck in the snow in the area of Range Road 234 and Township Road 244. Responding members checked the occupants who were wanted on Canada Wide Parole Warrants and determined the vehicle they were in was stolen. Both were arrested, upon a search methamphetamine was found. A further search of the vehicle resulted in the seizure of 190 grams of suspected methamphetamine with a potential street value of $19,000, $22,275 cash, a replica handgun, numerous edged and impact weapons, and government identification which did not belong to either subject.
Both males were transported to the Strathmore Detachment where they were held for bail hearings. Christopher Lindgren, a 31-year-old resident of Bezanson, and Nathan Piche a 30-year-old resident of Cold Lake were charged with:
- Possession of a Controlled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking;
- Possession of Items Used for Trafficking in a Controlled Substance;
- Possession of a Prohibited Weapon;
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose x 14
- Obstructing a Peace Officer; and
- Unlawful Possession of Government Documents X 2.
Nathan Piche was charged with additional offences of:
- Possession of a Firearm Contrary to a Prohibition Order;
- Illegal Possession of Government Documents; and
- Five other offences under the Traffic Safety Act relating to no insurance, registration infractions, unlawful use of license plate, and unauthorized operation of a motor vehicle.
Both men were remanded into custody on their new charges for future court appearances. At the time of this encounter, both men were parolees who fled from a community residential facility which resulted in the issuance of Canada Wide Warrants.